Toffee Apple Cake
For the Cake
|125g||Light Brown Sugar|
|100g||Dates (Dried and Chopped)|
|220g||Self Raising Flour|
|1||Lemon (Juice of)|
For the Toffee Sauce
|100g||Light Brown Sugar|
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4 and grease and line the base of a 9 inch round cake tin.
- Combine the dates and apple juice in a small saucepan and heat gently. Once boiled remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a spoonful of flour if the mixture looks like it is starting to curdle. Sift and fold the flour and spices into the mixture as well as the cooled date mix. Pour into the cake tin and level.
- Cut the apples into slices and dip into the lemon juice. Shake off the excess juice and arrange on top of the cake in a circular pattern. Bake the cake for 50 -55 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin and leaving to cool fully on a wire rack.
- To make the toffee sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat gently until they start to bubble. Continue to heat until for a few minutes until ingredients are all combined and the sauce has a characteristic toffee colour.
- Serve the cake with the toffee sauce drizzled over (toffee sauce still warm is lovely!) and enjoy.