A deliciously warming casserole - an ideal dish for a cold evening.
For the Casserole
|1.5kg||Lincolnshire Sausages, skinned|
|12||Rashers smoked streaky bacon, diced|
|3||Medium Onions - Chopped|
|4||Cloves of Garlic - Chopped|
|600g||Parsnips - Peeled|
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/ Fan 160ºC/ 350ºF / Gas Mark 4.
- Make patties out of each skinned sausage. Hat the oil in a large casserole dish, and brown the sausage patties all around. Set to the side.
- Stir in the bacon, onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. When the onions are softened and golden, add the lentils, stock, Black Treacle, mustard, thyme and bay leaves. Season well.
- Bring to a simmer and add the sausage patties. Cover with a well fitting lid and cook in the oven for 40 minutes, until all the lentils are cooked.
- Cut the parsnips into 2.5cm / 1 inch chunks and stir into the casserole. Cook for a further 20 minutes, until the parsnips are tender and the sauce is thickened. Remove the thyme and bay leaves. This will thicken on cooling - if it thicken too much, just add some extra chicken stock to bring it back to the desired consistency. Serve the casserole piping hot with garlic mash.