Chocolate Yule Log
Everyone loves a slice of chocolate yule log at Christmas time and one made with love tastes even better. Why not add a couple of tea spoons of cinnamon or a few drops of peppermint to your buttercream for a festive twist.
For the Sponge
|125g||White Caster Sugar|
|100g||Self Raising Flour|
For the Filling
|150g||Dark Chocolate (Melted)|
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (fan 160°C, gas mark 6). Grease and line a swiss roll tin with baking paper.
- Whisk the caster sugar and eggs in a large bowl until pale and light.
- Sift together the flour and cocoa powder and gently fold into the egg mixture using a metal spoon. Pour into the prepared tin, tilting it so that it covers the whole surface.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until firm yet springy to the touch. Dust a large sheet of paper with caster sugar and then turn the sponge onto it. Trim off the edges. Make a dent 1cm from the edge and tightly roll up the sponge and leave to cool.
- For the icing: Mix together the icing sugar and butter, then add the melted chocolate and milk. Beat until smooth.
- Unroll the sponge, spread over a generous layer of buttercream and roll up tightly again.
- Cover with the remaining buttercream, using a fork to create a log effect. For a finishing touch, dust with icing sugar.